Saturday, August 06, 2011

Confessions of a Secret Costume Addict

I have a secret. Well, not anymore since I'm sharing it with you now. I have had a secret career crush on Costume Design for quite a few years. The first time I became consciously aware that I was paying more attention to the costumes in a movie I was watching, was Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. Not the greatest film, but I didn't care. I could feel my blood racing the first time Queen Amidala entered the scene in her red gown. I was hooked.
Red Invasion gown, from Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, designed by Trish Biggar

Soon after, costuming websites started popping up. Now I could feed my addiction! The first one I found was The Padawan's Guide, about costuming from the Star Wars series. Many more followed — I will list my favourites at the end of this article.
I admire the level of detail, the imagination and the styling. I am envious and impressed. All I can do is watch and absorb the beautiful work. I hope that one day, when I am working less, I will have time to devote to creating my own costumes, with Cosplay, which I learned about from my sister and niece. I would like to try a costume from Star Wars, something from Amidala's wardrobe, or maybe the White Queen gown from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, designed by the brilliant Colleen Atwood. I am partial to the extravagant gowns, in case you hadn't guessed.
White Queen gown, designed by Colleen Atwood

Finally, I'd like to mention one more designer whose work is staggeringly genius — Eiko Ishioka. Her designs appear in The Cell and The Fall, among others. They are amazing, brilliant, beautiful, freaky, and architectural. This one is my favourite:
Red Lotus gown from The Fall, designed by Eiko Ishioka
I also admire the costumes from the movies Ever After, 500 Days of Summer, Thomas Crown Affair, Lord of the Rings trilogy and particularly the green dress from Atonement.
These are some of the costume websites I have found. If you know of any that aren't listed here, let me know and I will add them! Thanks for reading about my little obsession. =)
The Padawan's Guide
The Costumer's Guide
The Costume Chronicles
The Costumer's Manifesto
Jia Jem - a cosplayer with many cool tutorials
Glass of Fashion
Frock Talk
Clothes on Film
Enjoy!

No comments: