Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wish List

Lately, I've been thinking about goals. Recently, my husband was laid off from his job of 18 years and my salary was cut in half.  This brought many things into perspective and caused us to re-evaluate our goals.

Goals are one thing. They are tangible. They are practical. Goals are sober and well thought out. But what about wishes?

Wishes are goals with a shot of caffeine. It's one thing to have a list of goals; things you want to achieve in a pre-determined period of time. Having a wish list is a set of goals with a coating of fairy dust. Sure, you may never finish your wish list; but what if you did? Are you prepared for life to grant your wish?

My Wish List
In no particular order

  • Photo safari in Africa or Antarctica;
  • My dream garden, which includes an outdoor kitchen, comfy seating in front of an outdoor fireplace, and a large koi pond with multiple waterfalls and a burbling stream;
  • A bedroom with french doors, which are inexplicably open late on a Sunday morning, whilst the breeze gently moves sheer white draperies and birds sing me awake;
  • A 6-burner gas range;
  • Maid service twice a week;
  • A personal trainer, preferably Gillian Michaels;
  • Visit every country on earth.

It's a lot to ask for, I know.  Am I wasting precious brain energy wishing for things that will never come true? Maybe. But the day I am relaxing with my feet up next to my babbling brook, glass of sauvignon blanc in hand and chicken skewers toasting in the outdoor kitchen, I will thank my imagination for wishing up such a wonderful place to end up.

No comments: